Saturday, 23 August 2008

Treasure chest


I found this chest in the last hard rubbish throw out. Much to my husband's dismay I am one of those people who loves to make treasures out of other people's trash. It's hereditary. I won't go into how many projects my mum has on the go! 

I brought this home under the cover of darkness and secreted it away until I had time to do something with it. I forgot to take a before photo of the whole thing so you'll just have to imagine it from the pic of the lid corner when I was part way through sanding it back. I have removed the rusty hinges and have decided to have the lid fully removable by nailing a strip inside the back edge of the opening so the lid sits in place quite neatly.


After a couple of undercoats using leftover house paint I sprayed the top coat in off white gloss, then attempted my first bit of upholstery with the lid. First making a pad and stapling it in place, then sewing a pocket to slide the whole lid into. I've just folded in the ends of the fabric and only have to tack the opening closed to complete the job. 

It was going to be a toybox but is now collecting shoes due to its location near the back door. A great place to sit!

7 comments:

Hoppo Bumpo said...

What a great restoration! Your new print looks looks fabulous on the upholstery. I don't suppose you'd like to come and do a couch for us would you? :)

Michelle said...

That looks AMAZING!

handmaiden said...

What a real treasure chest that has turned out to be - u r a real recrafter

Dizzy said...

I have just passed on an " I love your blog" award for this super design!

diana said...

Wow, how cool is that? Don't worry I'm a midnight rambler. I go out after dark as it embarrasses other people too much for me to rummage through other people's trash in daylight hours. I head out in my street with the trusty dolphin torch to find the treasures amongst the trash.

Shimmy Shake said...

I am very impressed, that chest looks wonderful. I am always amazed at what people can see in other people trash...I think it is the innate creative eye - well done!

Penny said...

ooh that's awesome! i love a good hard rubbish restoration too.